“MY PARENTS ARE SEPARATING… AND ME/WHAT ABOUT ME?
Talking group for children aged 7 to 12 whose parents are separated or divorced
To join the next group of children which should start in April 2023, we invite you to contact the OPCCF on 022.311.82.11
“Parents, how can you help your child live through your separation? »
“As a child, how do you get through the separation of your parents? »
Divorce and separation are widespread phenomena in society and there are many offers of support available to accompany adults through this process.
On the other hand, there is little space for children to express the emotions related to their parents’ separation.
In a discussion group created specifically for them, children of separated parents can express their feelings, ask questions, share their concerns with others, and discover that others are also experiencing this difficult reality.
The aim of this group is to
- Give the child a voice
- Enable the child to find his/her place in the new family organisation
- Share what they experience with other children
- Express emotions, concerns, needs
- Better accept the choice of one’s parents
It is made of 5 to 7 children of the same age group, from 7 to 12 years old – 3P to 8P.
- Sharing the situation that children are going through
- Work on unconscious representations
Some of the preferred tools
- Telling their story
- Drawing of the separation
- Reading and acting out of stories
- Representation of the family
- Emotional map
- Self-esteem flower
- Gains form the separation
Meetings and organisation
- A preliminary information and registration interview. The agreement of both parents is required. An arrangement can be made if both parents do not wish to be in each other’s presence.
- Semi-open group of 5 to 7 participants
- Commitment in principle for one school year
- Regular participation is essential for the cohesion and smooth running of the group